Friday, November 17, 2006

Student Gratitude

Our time as students is quickly coming to a close. I never thought I'd say this, but there will be things about being a student (and the wife of a student) that I will miss. Right now I feel too young, or maybe a better word is naive, to be a real adult with a mortgage and membership in my child's PTO. It sometimes frightens me that I feel that I may be too ignorant to be in the real world. So, until I learn that I'm just overreacting, I'm going to list the things I'm grateful for when it comes to being a student.

  • Financial Aid (there is NO way we would have made it without some support from "the man").
  • Being the dutifully supportive wife. Mostly because I'm happy I'm done with school.
  • Gaining a new family with each move we make. Not to mention an actual family member with our last move.
  • Appreciating a dollar - and how dang good I am at stretching it.
  • Knowing that I'll remember this as one of the best times in our lives.
  • Watching Bradley light up when we tell him he goes to school just like Daddy does.
  • Our family's support....even when we moved far away from all of them.
  • Friends we've made at each stop.
  • Being on our own and making our own decisions.
  • Knowing that it's healthy for us to know what it's like to be poor.
  • It being over....
A year and a half ago Steven had his official white coat ceremony. Here's a picture from that day. Two weeks from now, he will graduate and we'll have new pictures, new coats, and new lives.

Indeed one of the ultimate advantages of an education is simply coming to the end of it. ~ B. F. Skinner

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you guys are done with school! That is so awesome! Congratulations.

Natalie said...

congrats to you both - there's nothing like finishing and the reality of being hireable - talk about empowerment!

Audra said...

Congrats! When Mike graduated, my aunt and uncle treated us to a full body massage for our graduation gift. Nice, huh! Mike declined the offer (wierdo), but I didn't! I would highly recommend you treat yourself to a full body massage, Mindy (and Steven). You deserve it! Oh, and you'll love being out of school. :)

Leslie said...

i love that quote. i might paint it on my kitchen wall. forget all that laugh often, love much crapola. :)
we're still drummin along . . . it's been 8 years . . . 2 more . . . now i'm depressed. :)
at least i'm not the one who has to study. we'd be SO done.

Anonymous said...

HOW EXCITING!!! I can't believe it! I can't imagine what it must be like. I feel like I could just copy your bolg and put it on my own in 6 months! We are so excited for you guys!

Anonymous said...

{Sigh} What a relief, huh? Congrats to you guys!

Bonnie Wayne said...

You guys have the cutest family! Thats cool the light at the end of the tunnel came, so to speak!
Bonnie

I Want to Hear From You!