Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Parenting

This week Steven takes his boards exam. It isn't until Thursday, so I have the week off from work. When we were expecting Bradley, Steven and I had many discussions on how we planned to "do things" with our kids. One was that we would never pay anyone to baby-sit so we could work. This resolve came in useful this week. They are paying me very well and I turned greedy this week. I told Steven that I was sure there were plenty of people that would be willing to watch the kids while I went to work for a few hours and he could continue to study. He simply said, "I thought we weren't going to do that." I recalled our conversation from 5 years ago and remembered that we didn't have kids so someone else could raise them. I know it may sound extreme. There's definitely a difference between having a child in daycare for 10 hours a day from the time they're 6 weeks old vs. having a family friend watch them for a few hours three times a week for a short while....it's simply the principle of the matter. I hope I'm not offending anyone when I say this. It's just a choice - more like a goal - we made a long time ago, and so far, it's working for us. I really am grateful to be a mommy.

So, for all you stay-at-home mommies out there working harder than anyone I know, KUDOS! Keep up the good work, even if it comes without pay, glamour, promotions, stock options, 401k, lunches, insurance benefits, and a company spending account. You are your child's top employee and you are irreplaceable.

Hundreds of dewdrops to greet the dawn,
Hundreds of bees in the purple clover,
Hundreds of butterflies on the lawn,
But only one mother the wide world over.
~George Cooper

2 comments:

Jessi said...

Don't get me started! One of my good friends just had a baby after two rounds of invetro, and now that her baby is 5 weeks old she cannot wait to get back to work. I understand that there are many people who have to work, but going to work because you want a break from your kids is unexcusable. I may set off a firestorm, but there you have it.

Jodie Haney said...

I needed that cuz last week was an "I'm going back to work!" kind of week.
I didn't, of course, but I wondered, "why am I staying home, again?"
Jodie

I Want to Hear From You!