Sunday, May 27, 2007

Less Frazzled

Thanks to our good friends Cara and Gordon in PC*, we have become a little less worried about the situation. Cara and Gordon's second child, little Elle, also tested positive for this condition. I know, your thinking, "can't be that rare of a condition if you actually know someone that has it." Elle was the only child in Utah that tested positive that year.

I've spent plenty of time researching this, but after a phone call today from Gordon, I feel much better. The fact that Olivia didn't need hospitalized within the first few days of life with serious jaundice-like symptoms means she has at least a few enzymes that had the ability to break down the galactose from my milk. She still may have a less serious version of the disease called duarte (I'm trying to simplify this). This won't require a special diet or cause any of the learning disabilities that the classic galacotsemia would cause.

I do love how the state called me on Friday at 3pm AND on Memorial Day Weekend, no less.

We're still praying that this is all just a false positive and Olivia is just fine. My new worries now are: will she come back to me?

Jeez, I thought a clogged tear duct was obnoxious. I love perspective. And because of this new found perspective, I'm counting my blessings that this is the only thing (so far - knock on wood) we're dealing with in our house when it comes to health concerns. Just like the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence ... the grass could be dried up and sparse, too. For now, this little weed of an issue can be dealt with. Enough with the yard metaphors. I'm going to go feed my baby.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Mindy, you will be in our prayers. Things seem to turn out well for you and Steven, but you are the "last minute" people. Those who stress and hope and really have to exert faith until the last possible minute. Hang in there.

Jodie Haney said...

I am sure she will come back...I switched between bottle and boob a lot because I didn't make enough. Don't worry, they are smart little boogers.
Love you.

Valerie C. said...

Mindy,
I check the blog every once-in-a-while! Good luck and let us know how things turn out. We are thinking of you. She sure is a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Mindy,
This is the second time I've tried this so bare with me. I'm so sorry you guys are having to go through this right now. It's bad enough trying to deal with all the new born stuff anyway and this just blows that out of the water. With Hailee, Ryan would feed her a bottle everynight so she would take one while I was playing softball, she always came back. I love reading your blog and seeing you and your family. I think you are amazing that you can do this for your friends and family. We will keep all of you in our prayers.
Love ya

Beeks by the Lake said...

Ahh, you've got to love health issues. It's nice to see you looking at things so positively! It's a life saver.

I Want to Hear From You!