Monday, October 22, 2007

Carving Creation Contest

Saturday morning, we had pumpkin pancakes (they sound much more charming and delicious than they actually were - anyone have a better recipe?) and this is the reason why. The night before we had ourselves a little healthy competition, but it didn't start out like that.

If someone had asked me to throw a party for 50 people, I would have laughed and asked them, "where?"

On my driveway.

I invited 12 families to our house and only one of them was unable to attend. I told them I would supply each family with one pumpkin and drinks. They needed to provide tools (knives, patterns, drills - not kidding) and a treat to share. Winner took home winning pumpkin and leftover treats they brought - ha ha. Winner actually took home a bucket of Dove Chocolates.

Here's some pictures of the 1st Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest.
Isabella, Danielle, Joe, & Madison H*

Cole M*, Josh J*, David M*

Luke, Jason, & Roarke B*; Lupita B* ... carving the eventual winning pumpkin.

Ashley and Stacey M*

The house in all its carving glory.

Tiffany S*, Tracy B*, Danielle J*

Some of the other's monkeys. Bunny ears were all the rage that night.

Todd N*, Angela and Jay V*, Brody N*

The finished pumpkins and the carvers (helpers).

Spooky aren't they? The kids voted and, though this picture lacks detail, the pumpkin on the left in the middle row was the ultimate winner.

Though we did not always remain in my driveway because food - like caramel corn, pumpkin roll, brownies, caramel & apples, chocolate-covered pretzels, pumpkin bread, cupcakes ... mmm - were in my dining room and drinks were in a cooler in the garage, my house was able to remain relatively clean. Nothing a quick mopping wouldn't take care of.

Exactly 50 people were in attendance. We had oodles of fun and I'm planning on doing it again next year. All your guests entertain themselves; guys like it because it's a competition, women get to catch up with one another, and kids get to eat themselves sick. What better venue is there?

14 comments:

Leslie said...

totally awesome idea mindy! we already have a block party on our neighbor's driveway every night. we've been working on a way to get it moved to OUR driveway. . .

Emma said...

That sounds like so much fun. wish I was close enough to come! When I get a house I'll have to remember to throw that kind of party!

Heidi Kjar said...

Looks like it was way fun! 50 people... You go girl!:)I don't think that many people have been over to my house in the last year! Ha

Leah said...

Mindy,
How Fun! Looks like everyone had a grat time.
Leah R

Brian said...

50 people? That isn't a party. That is a gang. I'm shocked that there wasn't bone-fires and looting and such. Sounds like a great time.

Anonymous said...

You are such the party girl! You should have held one of these in H-town...it could have been in your parking lot! :)

MIL said...

No one can turn a cul-de-sac into a front yard better than you! Such great memories you're making for your own three little punkins'

Anonymous said...

Mindy, Mindy, Mindy,....oh how domestic you are!!! How long has it been 20-25 years????
and...i'm glad you think i'm a "hottie" means a lot!

.kimi.

Haueter Photography said...

Look at you miss party planner of the year! That looked like a lot of fun. I've decided that I need to be more like you. You always are doing fun and new things. Love the pumpkins.
Aleisha

Amy Johnson said...

Hey Mindy,
It's me....Amy Johnson (was Downs). I was reading some misc. blogs and stumbled upon yours! I was so excited to see your kids! They are so big!! Did I see that you have three now?? Holy cow! I have one, he is 18 months old. I have a blog (yes, due to peer pressure as well), so you can see him there if you'd like. It's cajohnson.blogspot.com.
Good to see you. Hopefully we can keep in touch!

John said...

Emmy doesn't look like she had a good time.

Beeks by the Lake said...

that is absolutely the funnest Halloween party I've ever heard of. How cool!

Beeks by the Lake said...

and you need to scrapbook these, digitally of course, ans submit them. At least submit some of the pics. If you want help, email me and I will send you links of where you can submit to...

Jessi said...

You are the coolest! I want to copy your idea.

I Want to Hear From You!